HOUSTON LIVESTOCK SHOW AND RODEO™ TOASTS THE WINNERS OF THE 2020 RODEO UNCORKED!® INTERNATIONAL WINE COMPETITION
Today, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo announced the winners from the 2020 Rodeo Uncorked!® International Wine Competition, awarding the top honors of Grand Champion Best of Show to France’s Piper-Heidsieck Brut, Champagne, NV, and the Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show to Italy’s Cavaliere D’Oro Bellezza Chianti Classico Gran Seleizione DOCG, 2015.
The 2020 competition, held Nov. 16-17 at NRG Center, included 3,528 entries from 19 countries, including France, Spain, Bulgaria, Italy, Israel, Argentina and South Africa. Texas wineries represented 489 entries, and 232 entries came from this year’s featured region, Mendoza, Argentina.
“The 2020 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition featured entries from wineries across the globe, with the Piper-Heidsieck Brut, Champagne, NV taking home the highest honor as our Grand Champion Best of Show,” said Joel Cowley, Rodeo president and CEO. “Look for these award-winning wines at retail locations and plan to enjoy a selection at the Champion Wine Garden during the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.”
The 2020 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition champions included:
View Winners by Medal
View Winners by Winery
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Piper-Heidsieck Brut, Champagne, NV
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Cavaliere d'Oro Bellezza, Chianti Classico Gran Selezione DOCG, 2015
- Top Texas Wine – Bingham Family Vineyards Dugout Red, Texas High Plans, 2017
- Top Sparkling Wine – Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut, Spain, NV
- Top White Wine – Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling, Columbia Valley, 2018
- Top Red Wine – Revelry Vintners D11 Cabernet Sauvignon, Dionysus Vineyard, Columbia Valley, 2015
- Top Region Wine – Mi Terruño Mayacaba Malbec, Mendoza, 2015
- Top Dessert Wine – Inniskillin Gold Vidal Icewine, Niagara Peninsula VQA, 2017
- Top Value Wine – Raywood Merlot, Central Coast, 2017
- Top All-Around Winery – Wilson Family Winery
- Top Region Wine Company – MundoVino
- Top Wine Company – E&J Gallo Winery
- Top Texas Winery – Becker Vineyards
Award-winning wines from the annual competition will be paired with gourmet dishes at the 2020 Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup & Best Bites Competition, Sunday, Feb. 23 and will be sold at the 2020 Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction & Dinner, Sunday, March 1.
Visitors can enjoy many of these award-winning wines by the glass or bottle in the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden, presented by Frost Bank, during the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The Rodeo is scheduled for March 3 – 22, 2020. For more information on the Rodeo Uncorked! events, visit rodeohouston.com/wine.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo promotes agriculture by hosting an annual, family-friendly experience that educates and entertains the public, supports Texas youth, showcases Western heritage and provides year-round educational support within the community. Since its beginning in 1932, the Rodeo has committed more than $500 million to the youth of Texas. For more information, visit rodeohouston.com and connect with #RODEOHOUSTON online via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for all of the latest news. The 2020 Rodeo is scheduled for March 3 – 22.