How to Apply for a Scholarship
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ scholarship application is completed entirely online. Applicants will upload supplemental documents when completing the online application. Then, a school official or counselor will complete a second portion of the application online.
In order to qualify for a Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo scholarship, all minimum requirements must be met.
- December 15, 2023 Application Available Online
- January 31, 2024 – 7:59 PM
February 7, 2024 – 7:59 PM Online Application Closes
- February 15, 2024 – 4:59 PM School Official Submission Closes
- May 2024 Recipient selection notification
- June 2024 Scholarship Recipient Celebration
Applicants must meet ALL of the following requirements in order to be eligible for a Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo scholarship.
- Be a U.S. citizen and Texas resident.
- Graduating high school senior from eligible school
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid available December 2023.
- Plan to attend an accredited, not-for-profit university in the State of Texas.
- Have met minimum score requirement for either SAT or ACT.
AS OF JANUARY 25, 2024, THE EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS DEPARTMENT HAS MADE CHANGES TO THE FAFSA REQUIREMENT ON THE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION.
The Rodeo has been monitoring FAFSA very closely and are aware of the issues that many students are running into when trying to complete the application. We have decided to make some additional changes to the FAFSA documentation that we will accept for the Scholarship Application.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has changed its requirements for the 2024 application only.
- Instead of a finalized report, students must provide a copy of their submission confirmation showing their estimated Student Aid Index (SAI). Students may upload a copy of their confirmation email showing their estimated SAI.
- OR a downloaded PDF of their results from the Federal Student Aid Estimator (studentaid.gov/aid-estimator/) if they are unable to complete the FAFSA at this time. Applicants may upload a PDF report from the estimator tool. Instructions on how to use the estimator tool are included in the application.
- Students are still expected to complete the FAFSA and may be required to provide additional information for verification later in the application process.