2023 BEST BITES WINNERS:
Outstanding Showmanship Award
- 1st Place: Eculent
- 2nd Place: Brother’s Produce
People’s Choice Award
- 1st Place: Cotton Culinary – The Cotton Pearl
Duck fat crostini with wagyu beef and lemon verblanc pearl
- 2nd Place: Patra Lee’s Kitchen – Caramel Stracciatella ice cream with praline ethiopie and whiskey caramel swirl
Tasty Tradition Award
- 1st Place: Joyce’s Seafood & Steaks – White Chocolate Bread Pudding
- 2nd Place: Carrabba’s – Meatballs and Romano with Homemade Pomodoro Sauce
Trailblazer Appetizer Award
- 1st Place: Low Tide Kitchen & Bar – Ceviche with Cilantro Citrus Sauce on Corn Tortilla Chip
- 2nd Place: Terrace 54 Bar & Table – T54 Bang Bang Shrimp
Crispy Shrimp tossed in their signature bang sauce.
- 3rd Place: Henderson & Kane General Store – Mighty Meaty Mac
Lone Star Entrée Award
- 1st Place: Patagonia Grill & Café – Sausage-Ribeye Outside Skirt Steak
- 2nd Place: Calavera Mexican Kitchen – Taco Al Pastor with grilled pineapple, salsa taquero with onion and cilantro, corn tortilla / Cajeta mousse, raspberry semi-fluid jelly, candied pecan, vanilla Chantilly cream
- 3rd Place: North Italia – Braised Short rib over creamy mascarpone polenta with mushroom medley, marsala jus, & rainbow microgreens
Two-Steppin’ Dessert Award
- 1st Place: Mostly Chocolate – Tequila añejo 2.0, barrel aged tequila chocolate bonbon.
A caramelized, lime sea salt & tequila infused ganache layered with a creamy milk chocolate tequila ganache.
- 2nd Place: Whisky Cake – Whiskey Cake
- 3rd Place: Cacao and Cardamom Chocolatier – Popcorn and butter
A buttery caramel layered with a popcorn praline crunch.
- Patra Lee’s Kitchen – Caramel Stracciatella ice cream with praline ethopie and whiskey caramel swirl
Trail Boss Food Truck Award
- Capone’s Oven & Bar – Capone’s Pizza
During the event, nearly 500 award-winning wines from the 2023 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition were paired with gourmet dishes. The 20th annual wine competition featured 3,071 entries from 18 countries, including Argentina, Bulgaria, France, Israel, Italy, South Africa and Spain. Of those entries, 531 entries were from Texas wineries, and 160 entries came from this year’s featured region, Australia, an established wine-growing region with a reputation for excellence in wine production.
The 2023 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition champions included:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Le Chemin du Roi Brut, Champagne AOC, NV
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Bernhardt Winery Antiquity Chardonnay Reserve, Danube Plain, 2020
- Top Texas Wine – Becker Vineyards Barbera, Tallent Vineyards, Texas Hill Country, 2019
- Top Red Wine – Bernardus Marinus Estate Red, Carmel Valley, 2015
- Top White Wine – Chateau Saint-Roch Old Vines White, Cotes du Roussillon AOP, 2020
- Top Sparkling Wine – Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte Reserve Exclusive Brut Rosé Champagne AOC, NV
- Top Dessert Wine – Dandelion Vineyards Legacy of Australia Pedro Ximenez, Australia, NV
- Top Region Wine – Henschke Henry’s Seven Red, Barossa, 2020
- Top Value Wine – Risata Wines Moscato d’Asti DOCG, 2021
- Top Wine Company – E&J Gallo Winery
- Top Region Wine Company – Deutsch Family Wine & Spirits
- Top All-Around Winery – Becker Vineyards
- Top Texas Winery – Messina Hof Winery
Award-winning wines from the annual competition will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction & Dinner on Sunday, Feb. 26.
A selection of the champion wines will be available for purchase, by the glass and bottle, in the Champion Wine Garden, presented by Frost Bank. The Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza, is open throughout the Rodeo, Feb. 28 – March 19. Daily hours are Mondays through Thursdays, 4 to 11 p.m.; Fridays, 2 p.m. to midnight; Saturdays, 11 a.m. to midnight; and Sundays, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Enjoy live music daily beginning at 4 p.m. on weekdays, 11 a.m. on Saturdays and 10 a.m. on Sundays.
For more information about the Champion Wine Garden, visit rodeohouston.com/Visit-the-Rodeo/Attractions-Activities/WineGarden.
About the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo promotes agriculture by hosting an annual, family-friendly experience that educates and entertains the public, supports Texas youth, showcases Western heritage, and provides year-round educational support within the community. Since its beginning in 1932, the Rodeo has committed more than $575 million to the youth of Texas and education. The 2023 Rodeo is scheduled for Feb. 28 – March 19. The 2023 World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest, presented by Cotton Holdings, is scheduled for Feb. 23 – 25. For more information, visit rodeohouston.com and connect with #RODEOHOUSTON online via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for all the latest news.