GO TEXAN DAY
Let’s RODEOHOUSTON®! The anticipation for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ has been building, and now it is time to show your excitement. Participate in a city-wide celebration on Go Texan Day by putting your best cowboy boot forward and showing your Western pride.
Go Texan Day is the unofficial kickoff of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and when the entire Houston community is invited to celebrate Western heritage and to raise awareness of Rodeo season. Wear your western attire–such as jeans, cowboy boots and cowboy hats–for this all-day celebration! Kick things off with us in downtown Houston at Rodeo Roundup, watch the Trail Rides make their way into Memorial Park, then meet us at the World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest for an evening of good food and good music. It’s a full day of activity on Go Texan Day!
Download the Activity Book for fun and educational activities related to the Rodeo! Brush up on your agricultural knowledge before you visit.
GO TEXAN DAY CONTEST
- As part of the entry submission, you must upload a video, 60 seconds or less in length, and it should display highlights from your Go Texan Day event. The video can be footage of the event, a video montage or a slideshow of photos.
This video must be uploaded to YouTube, set to “Public” viewable, and the link copied and pasted to the Go Texan Day Contest submission page.
One entry per organization.
The competition will consist of a public vote by division and a Go Texan Day Spirit Award selected by the Houston General Go Texan Committee from all contest entries.
Your Go Texan Day event can be simple or creative and include activities such as:
- Encouraging employees to dress Western (including jeans, boots, hats and other Western attire). You could even add a Best Western Dressed contest to your event for added flare.
- Decorating with Western themed décor such as a Western display in the lobby or a fun door decorating contest between employees.
- Celebrating with an employee barbecue luncheon or a competitive cook-off (chili, beans, salsa, etc.)
- Relaxing with country and Western music or dancing at your event.
Winner: Heights High School
Runner Up: KIPP SHARP College Prep Lower School
Runner Up: Saint Paul Early Childhood Ministries
Runner Up: Elements Massage – Richmond
Runner Up: CityNorth
FRIDAY, FEB. 23, 2024
Rodeo Roundup is held on the Friday before Opening Day, as a kickoff to celebrate Go Texan Day. All Houstonians are invited to attend this free event in downtown Houston, Friday, Feb. 23, 2024, at Hermann Square. A Go Texan Day proclamation will officially kick off the event, followed by free chopped barbecue sandwiches provided by the World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Committee. Enjoy live music, take your photo atop a Texas Longhorn steer and visit with Rodeo volunteers representing the more than 100 committees to learn more about this annual Houston tradition.