90th Annual Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ Begins with Parade and Rodeo Run in Downtown Houston
Thousands of people gathered on Saturday morning, Feb. 26, in downtown Houston to watch runners, trail riders, floats and Howdy make their way through the city streets in the Downtown Rodeo Parade, officially kicking off the 90th anniversary of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
The 2022 annual Rodeo Run, presented by ConocoPhillips, led the celebration downtown and had more than 8,200 entries.
2022 Rodeo Run Winners
- 10K Overall Male – Francisco Perdomo
- 10K Overall Female – Lauren Stroud
- 10K Masters Male – Nathan Harkins
- 10K Masters Female – Christin Faykus
- 5K Overall Male – Joshua Fowler
- 5K Overall Female – Jamie Harpo
- 5K Masters Male – David Alben
- 5K Masters Female – Kate Reininger
DOWNTOWN RODEO PARADE
The Downtown Rodeo Parade began at 10 a.m. and was led by RODEOHOUSTON® opening performer Cody Johnson, 2022 Parade Grand Marshal. Johnson has become the sound of the Rodeo season with his performance of “Welcome to the Show,” the official song of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The Texas native will make his fourth appearance on the RODEOHOUSTON stage Monday, Feb. 28.
Nearly 30 floats and wagons traveled the parade route, which began at Bagby and Walker streets and concluded at Lamar and Bagby streets. Along the route, floats were judged based on creativity, originality and presentation.
2022 Parade Float Award Winners
- Sweepstakes – Girl Scouts
- Theme – Fiesta
- Originality – La Michoacana Meat Market
- Most Beautiful – Supermercado Teloloapan
- Chairman’s Award – Energize for Excellence
- President’s Award – International Committee
More than 2,000 trail riders from across Texas and Louisiana arrived in Memorial Park Friday, Feb. 25, just in time to lead the Downtown Rodeo Parade on Saturday morning. The 10 participating trail rides were Northeastern, Prairie View, Salt Grass, Sam Houston, Southwest, Southwestern, Texas Cattlemen’s, Texas Independence, The Spanish and Valley Lodge.
Each trail ride was judged on appearance, authenticity and overall Western spirit.
2022 Trail Ride Winners
- Spirit Award – Southwest
- Division I Award (Large Trail Ride: 145+ participants) – Salt Grass
- Division II Award (Medium Trail Ride: 50 – 144 participants) – Northeastern
- Division III Award (Small Trail Ride: 49 or fewer participants) – Texas Cattlemen’s
2022 Trail Ride Parade Winners
- Best Show Wagon – Salt Grass Wagon #7
- Best Appearing Riders – Salt Grass #13
- Top Trail Ride – Salt Grass
The 2022 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo begins Monday, Feb. 28 and runs through Sunday, March 20. Tickets start at just $20 at rodeohouston.com.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo promotes agriculture by hosting an annual, family-friendly experience that educates and entertains the public, supports Texas youth, showcases Western heritage and provides year-round educational support within the community. Since its beginning in 1932, the Rodeo has committed more than $550 million to the youth of Texas and education. The 2022 Rodeo is scheduled for Feb. 28 – March 20. The 2022 World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest, presented by Cotton Holdings, is scheduled for Feb. 24 – 26. For more information, visit rodeohouston.com and connect with #RODEOHOUSTON online via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for all the latest news.