Generous buyers supported education and young artists during the 2018 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo School Art Auction Sunday, March 11.
Emilio Recio, an 18-year-old senior from Pasadena Independent School District, exhibited the Grand Champion Work of Art, “By Dawn’s Early Light,” which sold for $225,000. The piece was purchased by Mary and Ken Hucherson, Kristina and Paul Somerville, Jennifer and Joe Van Matre, and Lynda and Jim Winne. Paul Somerville said the purchase was in honor of Mimi and Tom Dompier, who showed them what commitment is all about as longtime supporters of the Rodeo and School Art Auction.
“We commit to these kids to help them have the incentive to take on the responsibility and the next steps in their life,” Somerville said in reference to his buying group who has purchased at the auction together for years.
Sharon and George Buschardt, Cheryl and Gary Deitcher, The Inn at Dos Brisas, and Dr. Kelly Larkin and Fernando Para partnered to purchase the Reserve Grand Champion Work of Art, “Horsing Around.” Katy ISD senior Janice Khang, 18, painted the piece which sold for $150,000. Larkin said they are excited to support the kids who are involved in all aspects of the Rodeo.
“The Rodeo is so diverse,” Larkin said. “You don’t just have to be in FFA or 4-H [to participate in the Rodeo], and you also have opportunities for talented kids outside of agriculture, so it’s very exciting to be here and support them.”
- Exhibitor: Emilio Recio, 18
- Hometown: Pasadena, Texas
- School District: Pasadena ISD
- Art: oil painting, “By Dawn’s Early Light”
- Price: $225,000
- Buyers: Mary and Ken Hucherson, Kristina and Paul Somerville, Jennifer and Joe Van Matre, and Lynda and Jim Winne – in honor of Mimi and Tom Dompier
- Rodeo Record: $235,000 (2017)
- Exhibitor: Janice Khang, 18
- Hometown: Katy, Texas
- School District: Katy ISD
- Art: painting, “Horsing Around”
- Price: $150,000
- Buyers: Sharon and George Buschardt, Cheryl and Gary Deitcher, The Inn at Dos Brisas, and Dr. Kelly Larkin and Fernando Para
- Rodeo Record: $221,000 (2017)