To: Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ Livestock Show Exhibitors
From: Chris Boleman, Chief Mission Officer
Subject: 2020 Refunds and Premium Payouts
Over the last several weeks, we have received several calls and emails regarding our plan to provide refunds and premiums. We are pleased to provide this update to our exhibitors.
Refunds: In light of the early closure of the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, the decision has been made to refund entry fees for the following shows/contests:
- Ag Mechanics Project Show
- Ag Product ID
- Ag Public Speaking
- Ag Robotics
- Dairy Judging
- Food Challenge
- Livestock Judging
- Vet Science
- Wildlife Habitat
- Wool Judging
- Dairy Cattle Show
- Intercollegiate Livestock Judging
- Intercollegiate Wool Judging
- Llama and Alpaca Shows
- Open Breeding Rabbits
- Sheep Dog Trials
Premium payouts: Due to the generosity of our volunteers, donors, auction buyers, sponsors and partners, we will be able to provide premiums as noted below:
- Junior Market Lamb and Goat exhibitors will receive their guaranteed premium as outlined in the 2020 exhibitor handbook.
- The Junior Breeding Beef Heifer, Dairy Heifer, Market Steer, Market Barrow and Market Poultry Exhibitors will receive a premium payment. Entry fee refunds will not be processed for these shows since premiums are being awarded to all exhibitors.
- Junior Breeding Gilt and Breeding Sheep shows will receive premiums based on the show premium schedule for each show.
- Junior Commercial Steer exhibitors should have received their auction premium payment. Exhibitors also will receive point money and award premiums.
- The Junior Calf Scramble exhibitors should have received their $500 based on their plan to return to the 2020 Show to exhibit their Scramble Steer or Scramble Heifer.
- Open/Youth Cattle, Open Breeding Sheep, and Open/Youth Boer & Dairy Goat shows will receive premiums based on the show premium schedule for each show.
- Youth Meat Pen Rabbit, Youth Breeding Rabbit and Open/Youth Cavy shows will receive premiums based on the show premium schedule for each show.
- There will be no additional premiums for the 2020 Show.
The most frequent question we have received is when can exhibitors expect their check? At this point, we do not have a date set. In typical years, the guaranteed payments are sent to exhibitors in mid to late May. This will simply not be the case this year. While we do not know a specific date, we are estimating mid to late summer for refund and premium checks. We will continue to provide you updates at least monthly.
Thank you for your continued support and patience during these unprecedented times. We hope you remain safe and healthy. Of course, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. You may contact the Livestock Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.