The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo announced the winners of its 2019 Rodeo Uncorked!® International Wine Competition, awarding the top honors of Grand Champion Best of Show to South Africa’s Graham Beck Brut Rosé, Robertson NV, and the Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show to Spain’s Muriel Reserva, Rioja DOCa, 2013.
The competition, held Nov. 3-4 at NRG Center, included 3,156 entries from 18 countries, including Argentina, Austria, Chile, France, Italy, Japan, Portugal and South Africa. Texas wineries represented 413 entries, and 370 entries came from this year’s featured region, California’s Central Coast.
“The Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition featured elite wines from across our great state of Texas and all over the world, with a South African wine taking the coveted Grand Champion title,” said Joel Cowley, Rodeo president and CEO. “Our fans will be happy to know that these award-winning wines are available at retail and that we will be showcasing them during the 2019 Rodeo.”
The 2019 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition champions included:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Graham Beck Brut Rosé, Robertson NV
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Muriel Reserva, Rioja DOCa, 2013
- Top Texas Wine – McPherson Cellars White Blend, Texas, 2017
- Top Sparkling Wine – Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noir Brut, Carneros, NV
- Top White Wine – Rombauer Vineyards Chardonnay, Carneros, 2017
- Top Red Wine – Chloe Wine Selections Cabernet Sauvignon, San Lucas, 2015
- Top Region Wine – Ancient Peaks Winery Renegade, Santa Margarita Ranch, 2016
- Top Dessert Wine – San Felice Belcaro Vin Santo, Chianti Classico DOCG, 2009
- Top Value Wine – Ravage Cabernet Sauvignon, California, 2016
- Top All-Around Winery – Wilson Winery
- Top Region Wine Company – J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines
- Top Wine Company – Constellation Brands International
- Top Texas Winery – Haak Vineyards & Winery
Award-winning wines will be paired with dishes from top chefs at the 2019 Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup & Best Bites Competition, Sunday, Feb. 17, and sold at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction & Dinner, Sunday, Feb. 24.
The 2019 Rodeo is scheduled for Feb. 25 – March 17. Visitors can enjoy a selection of award-winning wines by the glass or bottle in the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza at NRG Park. For more information on the Rodeo Uncorked! events, visit rodeohouston.com/wine.