It was a packed house with an array of delicious options for attendees of the 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ Rodeo Uncorked!® Roundup and Best Bites Competition, Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013. Thousands gathered at Reliant Center to sample the top wines from the 2013 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition and vote on food from some of the area’s best restaurants and caterers.
The 2013 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition had 2,884 wines entered from 943 wineries in Texas, across the United States and around the world. A panel of 20 judges awarded 2,293 medals in several different categories. Judges included local and international wine experts. The champion wines were:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Alexander Valley Vineyards CYRUS, Alexander Valley, 2008
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Williams Selyem Westside Road Neighbors Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley, 2010
- Top Texas Wine – Pedernales Cellars Viognier, Texas, 2012
- Top Country Wine (Italy) – Bolla Amarone, Veneto, 2007
- Top All‐Around Winery – Messina Hof Winery, Bryan, Texas
- Top Wine Company – E & J Gallo Winery, Modesto, Calif.
- Top Sparkling Wine – Gosset Excellence Brut, Champagne, Non-Vintage
- Top White Wine – Consilience Wines Viognier, Santa Barbara County, 2011
- Top Red Wine – Silkwood Wines Alicante Bouschet, Modesto, California, Non-Vintage
- Top Sweet Wine – Yalumba Museum Reserve Antique Tawny, Barossa Valley, Non-Vintage
- Top Value Wine – Cycles Gladiator Winery Pinot Noir, California, 2011
While sipping on these award-winning wines, attendees moved from table to table tasting and voting on their favorite eats for the Best Bites Competition. The 2013 winners are:
Popular Choice Award
Two-Stepping Bread/Cheese/Dessert Award
- First Place – Royer’s Round Top Café
- Second Place – Jonathan’s The Rub
Trailblazing Appetizer/Entrée Award
- First Place – Mango Caramel from Cacao & Cardamom Chocolates
- Second Place – Bread Pudding from Joyce’s Seafood and Steaks
- First Place – Barbecue Short Ribs from Killen’s BBB
- Second Place – Mini Pork Crispy Tacos from Molina’s Cantina
- Third Place – Short Rib Sliders with Shaved Ham and Debris from Frank’s Americana Revival
- Catering to Your Tastebuds
Tasty Traditions Award
- Mango Caramel from Cacao & Cardamom Chocolates
- Bread Pudding from Joyce’s Seafood and Steaks
All champion wines will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction, Saturday, March 2, 2013, at 6 p.m., in Reliant Center.
A selection of the champion wines will be available for tasting, or by the glass and bottle, throughout the run of the Show, Feb. 25 to March 17, in the Baker Hughes Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza. Times are Monday through Thursday, 4 to 11 p.m.; Fridays and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to midnight; and Sundays from noon to 10 p.m. In addition to live music, the Wine Garden offers a variety of educational wine seminars for $30 or $50 per person. Visit www.rodeohouston.com for more information on event times.
During the World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest, the Baker Hughes Champion Wine Garden, located next to The Rockin’ Bar-B-Que Saloon, will be open Thursday and Friday, Feb. 21 – 22, 5 to 11 p.m., and Saturday, Feb. 23, 2 to 11 p.m.